1-Day Private Tour of Tainan, Taiwan Itinerary
- Tainan is where Han Chinese culture in Taiwan began, and a good part of the day will be spent in Anping, the oldest part of the city.
- The main attraction in this seaside community is Fort Zeelandia, a stronghold built by the Dutch East India Company in the the early 1630s. It’s perhaps the best place to learn about the Netherlands’ brief but historically critical occupation of the Tainan area.
- Nearby stands Anping Tree House, a 19th-century warehouse invaded by huge banyan trees and dubbed ‘Tainan’s Angkor Wat’.
- Next up we’ll show you around central Tainan, where the density of historical curiosities is stupendous. Within Taiwan, Tainan is regarded as a foodie’s paradise, and our lunch will include some of the city’s most famous dishes.
- Then we’ll head to the Confucius Temple, an austerely beautiful academy-cum-house of worship. It and several other places of interest are open until late in the evening, and especially atmospheric after dark, so extending the tour until quite late in the evening is possible if arranged in advance.
- A craft beer on atmospheric Shennong Street or a coffee in the garden of Chihkan Tower (the other fort built by the Dutch in the 17th century) are delightful ways to end the excursion before transferring to your hotel or the transport hub of your choice.
Pickup from your hotel in Tainan or Kaohsiung, Tainan railway stations or Tainan airport. Includes lunch, mineral water and insurance.