All of our tours are fully customizable. Get in touch and we'll assign you a dedicated travel designer who will work with you to curate your perfect trip.
1-Day Private Tour of Chiayi in Taiwan Itinerary
Pickup from your hotel in Chiayi or Chiayi railway stations. Includes lunch, mineral water and insurance.
- A medium-size city with a great deal of history and culture, Chiayi is an excellent introduction to Taiwan as it’s lived by the majority of Taiwanese people.
- The tour therefore commences with a look at the city god temple that has been central to local spiritual life since the late 1600s, and the bustling morning market that fills adjacent streets and alleyways.
- Chiayi thrived during the Japanese colonial period due to the logging carried out in the nearby mountains, and it’s no surprise that parts of the Former Chiayi Prison are made of wood from hills. The jail, which functioned until 1994, is now preserved as an intriguing museum of sorts. Mountain timber was also used to build what’s now called Hinoki Village.
- Originally a set of dormitories for forest-management officials and their families, the village is a lovely spot for a coffee or an ice cream.
- Half an hour’s drive from the city stands one of most important museum developments of recent decades. The Southern Branch of the National Palace Museum has superb permanent displays on tea culture, Asian textiles and Buddhist Art, as well as world-class temporary exhibitions.
- The museum is very close to Chiayi High-Speed Railway Station; alternatively we can transfer you back to your hotel or another transport hub.